Glossop and the Great War

An exhibition by Glossop Heritage Trust in the Casey Room, Bradbury House, Market Street, for the whole of September. At the end of the Great War, in towns and villages across the country, memorials were being designed and erected to commemorate those who had made the ultimate sacrifice in the service of their country. Glossop and Hadfield were no exception, and on 26th March 1922 Lord Howard and the Vicar of Glossop, Rev Martin Ellis, unveiled the cenotaph in Norfolk Square. The Mayor of Glossop, Samuel Bamforth, unveiled the cenotaph in Hadfield on the same day.


Lord Howard of Glossop lost his son, Lieutenant the Honourable Philip G J F Howard of the 1st Welsh Guards, who died of wounds on 25th May 1918. Philip Howard Road was laid out in his memory.
There are 306 local men named on the cenotaph in Norfolk Square, and 163 on the cenotaph in Hadfield, just for the Great War alone. This exhibition will tell the stories of some of them.
Many survived the war, often with serious life limiting injuries, and we will also tell some of their stories, and the experiences of soldiers who were treated at the Partington Convalescent Home and Moorfield House, which were given to be used as military hospitals.
Members of the Trust will be on hand on two occasions - Monday 1 September 7.30 pm to 9.00 pm, and Saturday 20 September 10.00 am to 4.00 pm. Light refreshments will be provided.

Advertise on the Glossop Gazette and help local charities