Slatelands - How not to deal with Japanese knotweed

This is the riverbank along Slatelands road, where there has been a very half arsed attempt at clearing the Japanese knotweed. Instead of containing and killing the knotweed it is being spread everywhere. It looks as if herbicide has been sprayed over the river bank and large clumps of knotweed have been cut down and either removed or fallen into the river. There has been no attempt to fence the infected area or prevent viable fragments from reaching the road. There are fragments of knotweed all over the place, and lots of strong regrowth.

The best way to tackle this infection would have been to fence it off securely and inject herbicide directly into the stems. Although a lot of the leaves have been killed there is no reason to suppose that the massive rhizome system is under control. The knotweed fragments on the road have the potential to infect wherever they end up, and fragments that fall into the water could infect anywhere downstream.

There are very strict laws about the use of herbicides near water and the disposal of invasive plant material. But people are very frightened of knotweed and the effect it has on property prices. Landowners know that they are liable if it spreads from their land to somebody else property.

If you have invasive plants or injurious weeds on your premises you have a responsibility to prevent them spreading into the wild or causing a nuisance. If you have invasive plants on land that you own or occupy, you must comply with specific legal responsibilities, including:
    spraying invasive plants with herbicide
    cutting and burning invasive plants
    burying invasive plant material on site
    disposing of invasive plants and contaminated soil off site

If the invasive plants are near a watercourse, you should not use herbicides as the first option. If you are planning to use herbicide in or near to a watercourse, you must complete herbicide form AqHerb01 and send it to the Environment Agency.
The person doing the spraying must hold a certificate of technical competence for herbicide use or work under the direct supervision of a certificate holder. If you plan to spray in or near water, the person carrying out or supervising the spraying must have the appropriate aquatic part of the qualification. The sprayer must also comply with the pesticide product label and meet all of its conditions. Before you spray in or near water you must check that the product is approved for use near water.
You must also carry out a Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) assessment for any activities that involve herbicides.

From Glossop Gazette November 2012: Notorious local artist Tim Garner at Slatelands

Advertise on the Glossop Gazette and help local charities